This one is nearly done. It just needs a few touch-ups here and there, but I think one more pass should do it.
This is what indirect oil painting is all about! I am thinking of changing the name to “WalMart Bowl” (just kidding). Next week I will concentrate on getting everything level and on the proper plain, and making the ceramic pieces look ceramic, and the glass pieces look like glass.
This is about fifteen minutes into the first of eight classes of “Indirect Oil Painting” taught by Jeff Stockberger, at the Beverley Street Studio School in Staunton, Virginia. This will be essentially a monochromatic still-life with an emphasis on cream stoneware and glass. It should be fun!
Sometimes I wonder if I paint only as an excuse to make frames for the finished paintings. This one, made from #2 pine, ripped and routed from board stock, and constructed with biscuit joinery and glue, is for “Approaching Storm” which is still on the easel.
I used my largest flat bristle brushes to apply this second layer of paint, still mainly blocking in shapes and values, still trying to cover the canvas. The only colors on the palette so far have been cadmium red medium, cadmium lemon yellow, ultramarine blue, and titanium white, all from Gamblin.
Warm greys, cool greys, various blues… Time to put down the first layer of paint to cover the canvas.
I spent the morning trying to save this, but finally decided not to waste any more paint on it. I can always cover it with a thin oil ground and reuse the canvas. A number of my successful oil paintings have failures underneath them, actually.
I spent another four hours of studio time on this. I might decide to finish it this weekend at home. We’ll see. Here is how the painting progressed during the session.
This is the still life I recently began in my current Indirect Oil Painting class at BSSS in Staunton, VA. The first four sessions are for a still life like this, with the objects chosen from the variety of stuff in the studio classroom. This is how it looks after two sessions, with the third about to begin. The colors are still dark and subdued, but the composition is pretty much set.
The watercolor “Two Stacks” was never finished - more work needed on the roof and shadow areas. I recently dusted the 2013 watercolor off and finished it. Here it is reframed and ready for someone’s wall.